Principal and Co-Founder
David focuses on serving retail brands and owners in the DC market, where he is consistently recognized as a leading expert and one of the most dominant players. His expertise includes new developments, respositioning and rebranding existing properties, and tenant rollouts. David has worked with 150 retailers, leased or sold 6M SF of retail property, and completed 700 leasing and sales transactions. He has been successful in revitalizing or bringing the catalytic retail tenant/project to several of DC’s most significant retail markets, including:
- Mitchell Gold to 14th street, which helped spur the furniture trend and market turnaround,
- DCUSA in Columbia heights, which is currently known as the largest retail project within DC and has transformed Columbia Heights,
- H&M to Silver Spring and Old Town, VA, which led to those markets’ ability to embrace apparel retail,
- REI at Union Market in the Historic Uline Arena, which catalyzed one of the most exciting neighborhoods in DC, and
- Representing Ferragamo, CH Carolina Herrera, Longchamp and Claudie at City Center, which helped establish DC’s first true luxury destination.
David’s reach, relationships, and deal history with many key owners, brokers and retailers span the country. He has executed expansion strategies and roll outs for some of the most prominent brands including REI, H&M, GAP, Old Navy, Regal, FRYE, and Carter’s, and he has represented an impressive list of developers, owners and institutions on their retail real estate including Tishman Speyer, Brookfield Properties, MetLife, Douglas Development, Grid Properties, TIAA CREF, and Tower Companies.
Prior to founding Dochter & Alexander Retail Advisors, David was an Executive Director with the Cushman & Wakefield Retail Services Group where he founded the firm’s retail services practice in 2006. At Cushman, he was consistently recognized as a top producer nationally, and he sat on the executive leadership committee responsible for implementing the strategic direction of the company.
EDUCATION, MEMBERSHIPS AND AWARDS
- Top Retail Broker in DC 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, and 2011
- 2015 Best Deal of the Year for representing REI at Uline Arena
- 2014 Best Deal of the Year for representing H&M at 1133 Connecticut Ave
- 2013 Best Deal of the Year for representing Tanger Outlets at National Harbor
- 2011 Best Deal of the Year for representing Athleta in securing its Georgetown flagship location
- Costar Power Broker 2001 – 2015
- Masters in Real Estate Development from Johns Hopkins University
- Bachelor of Science in Business from Towson University
- Member of International Council of Shopping Centers